Thursday, June 19, 2008

Friends

Growing up I had a problem with friends. I never did seem to keep them. Junior high hit and all you know what broke lose. My best friend from high school made a succession of poor relationship decisions and I just couldn't keep up. Friends from college are friends on facebook and you keep up with short messages and pictures, but not much else.

So imagine my surprise when I went back to Minnesota for a friend's wedding this past weekend and stayed with a former college roommate and her husband.
Naomi (otherwise known as Nomie) and I had been roommates traveling abroad as well as our sophmore year. Our junior year, she married Alan, one of the nicest guys on the planet.

I don't know what I was expecting staying with them, but needless to say I was overwhelmed. I felt valued. I felt cherished. I had a really great time and never felt as if I were a burden.

Some people say that seeing certain friends after a long time you can just pick up where you left off. It wasn't like that with Nomie and Alan. It was ten times better. We had both matured and changed, but we understood that. We discovered new interests, new talents and new perspectives about each other.

They even took time during their scouting session for their photography business to take pictures of me which they didn't have to, but made my day.

It was a good reminder of what friendship should be. So I'm making sure it won't be another 3 years before I visit them again. It's too easy to get bogged down with life and forget what's most important.


PS: If you're wondering, yes Nomie and Alan were the photographers who took my new profile picture. Seriously, they are some of the best photographers I've seen. If you're planning a wedding or family event in Minnesota, look them up at http://www.pricelessphotomemories.com/

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!