Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mark 12 rocks my world!

So this was a comment I left on the Route 66 site, but I liked enough I'm reposting it here as well:
18 Then Jesus was approached by some Sadducees—religious leaders who say there is no resurrection from the dead. They posed this question: 19 “Teacher, Moses gave us a law that if a man dies, leaving a wife without children, his brother should marry the widow and have a child who will carry on the brother’s name. 20 Well, suppose there were seven brothers. The oldest one married and then died without children. 21 So the second brother married the widow, but he also died without children. Then the third brother married her. 22 This continued with all seven of them, and still there were no children. Last of all, the woman also died. 23 So tell us, whose wife will she be in the resurrection? For all seven were married to her.”
24 Jesus replied, “Your mistake is that you don’t know the Scriptures, and you don’t know the power of God.

What struck me about this verse and what's haunted me all day is the phrase "You don't know the power of God." How often do we really acknowledge the power of God? More often we tend to limit God's power just like the Sadducees, deciding what God can and cannot do even when He's standing right in front of them!
As a culture we've lost most of our sense of awe or wonder. I recently heard a secular comedian bemoan the fact that we ascribe the word "awesome" to things as mundane as socks and hot dogs. Our God is awe-inspiring. We're talking about the Lord of Heaven's Armies (notice it's "armies" not "army")!!! He runs the universe. The only reason you have your next breath (yes, that one you just took) is because He orchestrated it. Yet, just like the disciples, we forget this fact. Even though we have witnessed miracles in our own lives and in the life of others, when it comes to tough times, we still wonder, "Gee, will God show up?". Why? We don't know the power of God. It reminds me of a hymn I grew up singing that goes...
Oh what peace we often forfeit
Oh what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

Lord, let me remember everyday that you are a powerful God, One that can do far more than my finite mind can comprehend. Help me to have faith that You can accomplish anything for Your glory. Lord, let me experience Your power every day as I entrust my soul, my body and my mind to You. God, You are an awesome God, not "awesome" like socks, but truly, overwhelmingly awe-inspiring. To You be all glory and praise forever!!!

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!