Sunday, March 15, 2009

Is God Enough?

Last Sunday, Pastor Art was out of town and the children's pastor, Bobby, preached. I knew Bobby was nervous about his first opportunity to preach Sunday morning and so I prayed that God would give him a Word, not just a word, but a WORD from God. Little did I know, it was a Word for me. Here's what Pastor Bobby preached on:

Job 13:15
Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him

Think about Job's life. He lost everything. He lost his finances, his family, his fitness(health) and his face(his reputation). He lost it all. Yet, he still said, "I know God did this. Heck, He could even kill me. But I will still hope in Him."

Wow.

Here are three questions that Pastor Bobby brought up with accompanying thoughts:

1. Can God be trusted while you are submerged in suffering?
Faith may not be a way out of trouble. It may be a way to endure trouble.
Faith is not receiving from God what you want. Faith is accepting from God what He gives you.

2. Can God be trusted when you are forsaken by friends?
Job 19:13-19
Psalm 41:9
Psalm 55:12-13

3. Can God be trusted when you are dismayed by darkness?
Remember, Job never read the book of Job. He didn't know the backstory. He didn't really know what was going on. He only saw part of the picture. Job never got the answers he wanted.
"Why" is God's question. "How" is ours. How will I respond?
Isaiah 50:10-11
10 Who among you fears the LORD
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let him who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on his God.

11 But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.

When in darkness, don't light your own torch!

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!