Saturday, March 28, 2009

School fun!

I had too much fun in school this week.

The highlight was an activity I did with my students called, "Miss Ernst is too tired to teach so learn it yourself". That's not the official title, but still you get the just of it. Now you must understand I teach advanced grammar...really boring advanced grammar so I have to trick my brain (and my students' brains) into thinking advanced English grammar is exciting.

My students had 45 verbs to memorize that accompany infinitives. 45. Ugh.

So I gave them 20 minutes, colored paper, markers and said, "Make something that will help your classmates remember these for the test."

What I didn't expect was Infinitives! The Musical, an impromptu production created and performed by my students.

Act I was Luiz, Sean and Yang. Luiz (my sassy Brazilian) sang an infinitive-infused love song, Sean(your average Korean side-kick) beatboxed and Yang (my resident Communist and eternal pessimist) did his best Milli-Vanilli dance moves.

Act II was James, Andrew, Daniel and Eric. James and Andrew provided back-up vocals for the "Twinkle-twinkle, little star" introduction which then dove head-first into Eric's (unassuming, lisping Eric) gansta-rap backed up by none other than Daniel(quiet, polite, respectful) who added his own mix of Flava-Flav/Koolaid man interludes in his deep bass voice. "OH yeaaah..." I didn't hear the first half of it because I was laughing so hard.

Act III was Meg, Sunnie and Cindy (I'm not making this up) who sang their ABC song with verb lyrics, looking excessively cute as usual.

It is now the stuff of legend. And all because I let them have control of their own learning. I wonder how many students during their test will be mouthing "oh yeah".

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!