Thursday, May 14, 2009

Where are you getting your bread?

I've been very privileged to sit under the teachings of my pastor, Art Evans. He's awesome, mostly in that 75% of his sermons are quoting Scripture. I've got a backlog of sermon notes I want to blog on, but thought I'd start with this one from Luke 11 as Jesus is telling a parable:

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' 8I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldnessa]">[a] he will get up and give him as much as he needs."

1. You, by yourself, have nothing to give. "a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him." We're like the man who has no bread. By ourselves, we really have nothing to offer. If I'm just counting on my own smarts, my own experiences, and my insight to help people then I'm in trouble.

2. You have to get your bread from Him. The only way the man was able to feed his friend was because the neighbor gave him "as much as he needs". He sought out the neighbor and was annoying enough that it caused the neighbor to act. How much more will God, who is our Father and Friend, act on our behalf and give us what we need so that we, in turn, can feed others!

3. You get bread from Him to give to others. The man didn't get bread to feed himself or his family. He got bread to help his friend. Even if we think, "Gee, I'm feeling holy today. I don't need to read my Bible," it's not for you! You are getting "bread" to share with others. Now interesting enough, when the man did get bread, he got "as much as he needs" meaning even though it was for his friend, his family did not go hungry.

So press on! Keep asking, keep reading His Word because without His "bread", we have nothing to give.

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!