Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Obsession

When I lived in Phoenix, I had a ritual. Every Sunday on the way home from church, I would get off at the Litchfield exit, park my car in a treeless lot and walk into Barnes and Noble. Sometimes I would stay for 30 minutes. Other times I would be there for hours. For a while, I ordered their turkey chipotle panini melt and would sit in the cafe reading various travel books or planning the next week of lessons. Most times, I would wander the store, find something fun and interesting, sit in a big comfy chair and read.

I love bookstores. I love all the books in a row. I love the colorful displays and the nooks where you can curl up and read. Barnes and Noble was the location of my first almost real date (more on my sad dating life later...).

I'm a bit of a bookstore snob too. Each one has a different function for me. Barnes and Noble is my favorite curl up and read spot, mostly because of the comfy chairs. Borders is more of a research spot, with firm leather chairs or tables and chairs. I planned my entire Italy trip from Borders.

So now that I'm no longer teaching frantically, I've been able to slip back into old habits. Summertime is when I try to read a book a day, even if it means staying up to 1 or 2 AM. Earlier this year, I found the web site Shelfari, which is a great way to keep track of the books you're reading and want to read.

So this summer, if you are lucky enough to have some free time on your hands, check out my Shelf and send me some book recommendations!

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!