Friday, August 22, 2008

Grandma Jean

My Grandma Jean passed away a week ago. Her burial was today in Phoenix.

Grandma Jean, me, Grandma and Christian

Technically, she wasn't my "real" grandma, but she really was a grandma to my brother and I. She was my paternal grandmother's best friend and the two of them did shopping trips to San Diego, lunches and all the fun stuff that two gals named Jean and Betty can do in Hemet, California.


Grandma Jean had several loves in her life: playing the organ at church, collecting bells (she had thousands), offering her opinion with a toss of the head and fabulous intonation, rooting for the Dallas Cowboys(she had the official football phone!) and loving Jesus.


Our family is going to miss Grandma Jean a lot. She filled a gap in our family and we filled one in hers. When her daughter-in-law went to put together the pictures for the funeral bulletin, 3 out of 5 of them are of her and our family. Right now I just can't believe that she won't be coming down for her annual birthday dinner at Seaport Village. Or sending me cards with her meticulous handwriting. Or coming down to visit the Christmas tree at the Hotel Del.
Please pray for our family as well as Grandma Jean's family through this time. Especially pray for my grandma. I can't imagine losing your best friend of 30 years. It's going to be hard for her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I hope all is well, i know losing someone is hard, I am sure she is at peace. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.(And hopefully Jean can get the Cowboys further this year from where she is. Go Cowboys) Peace be with you in your time of grief, life is short, love everyday. God Bless

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!