Monday, January 28, 2008

The Good, the Odd and the Sexy...

Here's the amazing thing about reading the Bible through for yourself--you find a ton of cool things that no one ever preached on or did a Bible study on or even mentioned. Here are just a few that have stuck out to me in the past few days:
  1. Exodus 4:24-26...this verse blew me away! It's so random and odd! So I did a little research and come to find out this is one, if not the most, contested verse in the Old Testament. It has something to do with pronouns (is the "him" Gershom or Moses?) and also with Zipporah (how did she know what to do?) and with Moses' lack of obedience (why had he not circumcised his own son?). If anything, we see that Moses' lack of obedience was dangerous not just to himself, but to his family as well.
  2. Genesis 42-43: Joseph is often seen as the overly nice brother who willingly forgives his brothers immediately...unfortunately, that's not what the Bible says. Joseph tested his brothers mercilessly and even threw Simeon in jail! Although I have to say, I don't blame him. Simeon's reputation was not too hot (Genesis 34:24-26).
  3. Proverbs 5 instructs you to have great sex with your spouse. It also warns you not to sleep around. I love the imagery here too. It's so over the top! "Why spill your springs in the streets/ your streams in the city squares?" Haha...that's great.
  4. Matthew 17:24-27--Too bad H&R Block doesn't offer a guarantee like this one!
  5. Matthew 18:21--Got to admit it...I can relate to Peter here. Ever try to impress someone with your own holiness and it totally backfires? Welcome to Peter's world! He tried so hard to be the goodie-two-shoe with this question and Jesus completely turned the tables on him. If I was Peter, I'd be feeling pretty dumb at that point.

Well, just a few interestering "ah-ha!" moments. How about you? What have you found that has stunned you?

1 comment:

beBOLDjen said...

Love the observations. Here's what I've been chewing on:

1)The Proverb 5 you mention really struck me with it's vivid imagery as well.
2)Funny you mentioned Joseph as well because I was struck with wonder as to his intentions with his brother Benjamin. It seems to me he was struggling with the temptation to take things into his own hands and steal his brother away from his family for a while there. Not much else can explain his wacky behaviours with the framing of his brothers, etc.
3)I've been stuck for a while on the Gentile woman in Matt 15:21-28 Never before had it struck me how our Lord was so absolutely training HIS missles on the woman's pride. Deliberately insulting her (in front of a hostile audience) in such a way highlighted a faith and humility in her which could have only come from God. WOW! And all the while she was being tested she displayed a confidence in His loving character and her place under His care. Double WOW!

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!