Monday, January 14, 2008

What kind of legacy is in a name?

So when I was a freshman in college, I took a humanities course where we would have small group meetings with a professor three times a week for the entire year. There were only 15 students so we got to know each other fairly well. Our beloved wacky professor (who wore, yes, bow ties!) would distinguish between all the girls in our class by our names: Patriarch wives and Pagan names. This sounds horrible, but we had three Sarahs, two Rebekahs and two Rachels. The Pagan(non-Hebrew) names were the two Julies, two Katies, etc. So I always thought it was pretty sweet to be the Patriarch wife instead of the pagan.
However, after reading through the Genesis account again, I have to say, I'm not too impressed with Sarah, Rebekah or Rachel. Here's some observations of these ladies:
  • They all struggled with fertility problems. Notice I used the word "struggled", not just were "depressed" or "disappointed". This was a major part of their culture to have children. Sarah and Rachel were so impatient and wanting to do things their way that they gave their maidservants to their husband. By the time we get to Rachel, she should have known God would be faithful considering the family history.
  • They all had some bright, shining moments and some moments of incredibly bad judgement. Sarah was impatient and hurtful. Rebekah played favorites and was manipulative. Rachel was jealous, whiny and duplicitous (she obviously prized those household gods to actually steal them from her father).

So this makes me wonder what kind of legacy will I leave with my name? As a teacher, there are names I cringe at because I automatically associate them with former students that were less than admirable. My brother ended up with a beloved relative's middle name instead of first name because another, shady relative also shared that first name. When people say my name, what do they automatically associate it with?

I want to be the opposite of those Patriarch wives. My hope is that they associate my name with someone who is patient, caring, someone who is fair, just, trusting, civil and genuine.

What legacy will your name leave?

No comments:

Route 66 at Your Fingertips!